ABC International Excellence Award shortlist is announced
March 23, 2015
The shortlist for the 2015 Accessible Books Consortium (ABC) International Excellence Award for Accessible Publishing has been announced. Nominees were judged on the criteria of “outstanding leadership or achievements in improving the accessibility of commercial e-books or other digital publications to persons with print disabilities”.
The Secretary General of the International Publishers Association, Mr. Jens Bammel, stated that “ due to the range and quality of applicants, the Jury has decided to give two awards: one to publishers and one for NGO initiatives and other services. These shortlisted organizations merit recognition for their successes in making e-books accessible to people with print disabilities. Let's give them the applause they deserve.”
Four publishers were shortlisted:
- Cambridge University Press
- Elsevier B.V
- HarperCollins Inc.
- SAGE Publications Ltd
Four initiatives were also shortlisted:
- Icontact (Netherlands) for its BooXtream watermarking technology
- Libri Italiani Accessibili Foundation (Italy)
- Syndicat national de l’édition (France) for "rentrée littéraire accessible"
- Young Power in Social Action (Bangladesh) for accessible e-book production
The winners in each category will be announced at the LBF International Excellence awards to be held on Tuesday 14 April, 2015 at the London Book Fair.